The Power of Networks
April 27, 2019 | 12:00 p.m. EDT
Within the fast-paced world of research, being well-connected often plays a crucial role when building and developing a career.
The definition of a "professional network" may depend on whom you ask. They can be informal or formal and come in many shapes and forms. Some networks are linked to institutions, and others are associated with scientific disciplines. In addition, networks can span regional, national, and international levels.
This webinar will show you the broad landscape of European neuroscience networks. Following an introduction to networks and their role in neuroscience, you’ll hear presentations focusing on specific types of networks, with concrete examples. You’ll listen to testimonials from scientists at different career stages on how they’ve benefited from being part of a network. You’ll also have the chance to ask panelists your questions during a live Q&A.
By registering, you’ll gain knowledge of:
- Utilizing types of networks. These include but aren’t limited to university colleagues, international peers, policy networks, and learned societies.
- Managing your time to participate in networks. You’ll learn how to choose networks that are relevant to your career stage.
- Building networks and why it’s important to start early. Examples will help PhD students lay the foundation for networks they’ll continue to build throughout their careers.
- Leveraging networks as a new PI. Being connected helps you publicize your work, find collaborators, share experiences and learn from others, find opportunities and stakeholders, promote the careers of your lab members, and more.
- Participating in the European Neuroscience Conference by Doctoral Students (ENCODS). This major European initiative for bringing young neuroscientists together is designed exclusively for and by PhD students.
- Finding support for starting and becoming a part of networks. The Network of European Neuroscience Schools (NENS) and SfN offer many options for young neuroscientists especially to begin growing their networks.
Can't attend live? Register to watch on-demand any time after the live event.