The 10 Constants Throughout a Changing Career
This resource was featured in the NeuroJobs Career Center. Visit today to search the world’s largest source of neuroscience opportunities.
Ups and downs, achievements and challenges: your career will be full of them. Through these changes, there will be some constants. Knowing these will help you successfully advance your career.
Contemplate these 10 ever-true affirmations to keep you grounded and true to your character and interests as your career transforms.
- You are unique. To realize your full potential, you must live your life according to what you want.
- Keep learning throughout your life. Develop a good skill base and be open to new ideas.
- Have confidence in yourself.
- Celebrate your successes! Focus on your achievements, not on your failures
- Learn from your mistakes. Don't be too harsh on yourself — or on others, for that matter.
- Be resilient. Be positive.
- Focus on the future, not on the past.
- Be flexible.
- Engaging the public in science is important.
- Envision a better future for society, and fulfill it by supporting science policy.
Adapted from the presentation, “Women in Neuroscience: A Holistic Approach to Career Development,” by Barbara Sahakian, PhD.