New to Mentoring? Have a New Mentor? Don't Miss These Tips
So you’ve been paired with your mentor or protégé. Now what?
It’s time to start building a strong foundation based on mutual trust and respect.
Get the most out of your mentoring relationship by following the steps below.
Top Five Mentoring Tips for Protégés:
- Be punctual. It’s vital for communicating you value your mentor’s time.
- Create an agenda outlining what you’d like to cover with your mentor during the meeting, and share the agenda with him or her beforehand.
- Be clear from the outset about the intended length of your meeting. Stick to this timeframe.
- Choose to meet in a defined and easy-to-find location, and share contact information. Be specific about the location.
- Ask for permission for further communication beyond the set time and the vehicle through which you will communicate, such as email or phone.
Top Five Mentoring Tips for Mentors:
- Be punctual.
- Before the meeting, review the agenda the mentee provides.
- Stay focused on the mentee during the meeting — unless an appropriate opportunity for an introduction to a colleague arises.
- Ask the mentee about his or her goals and aspirations.
- Offer to remain in contact with the mentee, but only if it’s feasible to act on it.